Our office has over a twenty years of experience in many construction facets of law, including contracts, construction defect, and mechanics’ liens.
We have a solid knowledge base that comes from countless hours of dealing with construction contracts. Our past clients have been design professionals, general contractors, and subcontractors, and none of these interests are the same. From issues like indemnity, insurance provisions, payment provisions, retention, and scope of work, we know that understanding your position in the contractual landscape is key to understanding and advocating your best interests.
With ten years of insurance defense experience in the construction defect arena, this office has the insight to what insurance companies look for and expect when it comes to construction defect claims. We have represented home owners and construction industry professionals, so we know both sides of the story when it comes to making claims arising out of defective construction. The most commonly litigated problems we see are:
By the Homeowner:
- Moisture intrusion into the building envelope
- Leaking windows and sliding glass doors
- Leaking roofs
- Plumbing problems, like noisy pipes or low water pressure
- Heating and ventilation problems, such as insufficient heat or air conditioning
By the Construction Industry Professional:
- Onerous contract terms
- Vague contract terms
- Claims which are beyond the professional’s scope of work
- Lack of homeowner maintenance of a condition prior to a problem
- Lack of proper notice to address a claimed problem